The latest news...

Please keep checking back to find out what's happening. We'll update it as often as we can.

Friday 14 December 2007

Home birth option

Every time I've been to the midwife (CF) I've said that I want a home birth and she doesn't seem to have been too enthusiastic about it - almost brushing my comments to one side and telling me we'll talk about it later, without writing anything in my notes. This Tuesday I again broached the subject and finally got a reaction, and a documentation in my notes. But it wasn't exactly a response that filled me with confidence - "I will support your decision, but it is hard and it's your first pregnancy and..." - and it left me feeling a bit worried that I would have to fight for what I want, and I definitely don't want that.

But I've just had a long chat with the midwife in charge of home births in the city (WD) (my yoga teacher gave me her number) and am feeling a whole load better about it. She reassured me that I wouldn't have to fight, that home births are being encouraged and that first-pregnancy is certainly not a reason not to go for it. WD works in the south of the city, but there's a new midwife starting in the new year who'll be her counterpart for the north - if I'm still having problems she'll put me in touch with her if I want to. She also said that it might be that CF is just not used to encouraging home births, as it's a relatively new thing on the "agenda" - WD offered to come and discuss everything (birth plan etc) with me and CF if we wanted her to and if it would help us both to feel happier about it.
I know that things may happen and I may have to transfer to hospital, but I only want to do that if I have to for medical reasons, not just because. I want everything to be as natural as possible, in an environment that I know and that I'm comfortable in, and for me, a home birth offers that.

No comments: