The latest news...

Please keep checking back to find out what's happening. We'll update it as often as we can.

Sunday 27 July 2008

Books to read

Having got upset when I picked up a book of someone else's bookshelf and panicked when we weren't doing the exact routine that it prescribed (Dave soon banned me from reading it any further) I'm reluctant to recommend any parenting books. But, these two books have been lovely, don't dictate anything but instead offer support with a balanced & healthy outlook on life.

"What Mothers Do..." was given to me by a friend when Imogen was born and, having found it a great read, it's now being passed among other Mums I've met. It's written by a woman who runs discussion groups for mothers, and also does counselling, and gives a realistic and reassuring viewpoint. When someone said to me that "babies are great for wasting time", I could have got really upset, but from my instincts and having read this book, I knew that it just isn't true (and in fact I just laughed!). I found myself agreeing with, and relating to, quotes in the book from Mums and the commentary alongside just seemed to make sense; it made me feel better about "doing nothing" - especially in the very early days.

"What Every Parent Needs to Know..."
was recommended to me by my yoga teacher, as a book that gives information about caring for your child without dictating or prescribing some fantasy routine that never works. This is the paper-back version - the hard-back version is called "The Science of Parenting", and is perhaps a more informative title; it's a look at the evidence on how nurture, love and play affects a child as they grow up, and later into adulthood. Although it's got a scientific basis to it, it's not difficult reading, and gives some great information on the development of the brain and how hormones and chemicals in the body work together - either for good or bad. But, although it gives the evidence, it doesn't use this to dictate what you should do - it just gives you the information so you can make you own mind up about things. A case in point is sleeping - it gives details on co-sleeping and children sleeping in their own bed, with no "right or wrong", just information for and against each. A lot of the methods it suggests seem very natural and common-sense, but it's good to know that nature does the right thing!

(BTW I don't necessarily recommend Amazon for buying these, or any other books - it was just an easy way of putting a link so anyone can have a closer look at the books if they want)

No comments: