The latest news...

Please keep checking back to find out what's happening. We'll update it as often as we can.

Sunday 6 April 2008

Birth story

The combination of sweeps (on Monday and Friday), homeopathy from Monday, and acupuncture on Friday, finally got labour going. In hindsight, perhaps it was a bit too much stimulation, resulting in a rapid intense labour.

On Friday afternoon I wasn't really able to get my afternoon nap because the contractions seemed to be stronger than the Braxton Hicks I'd been having for several weeks. Over the next couple of hours contractions were pretty regular, but were only about 5-7 minutes apart and very manageable. Dave decided to cook some tea, and while he was doing that I decided I wanted a bath - so tea was eaten in the salubrious surroundings of the bathroom! When I got out of the bath, on went the tens machine and Dave decided to start inflating the pool.

At about 8pm we decided to phone Wendy to let her know what was happening (Dawn had been in a car accident after she'd visited me that morning, so we'd been told it would be Wendy rather than Dawn if anything happened over the weekend). At that stage things were still very manageable, and I was able to talk through contractions - kneeling on all fours on the sofa and hip swinging, with a boost from the tens, were all that was needed.

Wendy phoned us back again at 9.30pm to see how things were going before she retired for the night (Ha ha!). By now I was having to concentrate more on the contractions, using the ribbon breathing and still hip swinging, but didn't feel that things were strong enough for Wendy to come out just yet, but perhaps in another hour I would. By 10.30pm when I next spoke to Wendy, the contractions were more intense and I asked her to come out. She went via the Jessops to pick up the gas and air, and arrived just after 11:00pm. Contractions were now about every 3mins and I was really having to concentrate and disappear into my own little world. Between contractions things were fine.

Not long after Wendy arrived my waters broke. The fore-waters were clearish, but when Wendy did an examination, there was meconium in the hind waters. Although I wasn't in established labour yet, we knew this meant we'd have to transfer to Jessops. I was surprisingly calm about
it - yes, disappointed and upset, but I knew in my heart what was the right thing for the baby. Dave emptied the pool (over the lounge wall when the pipe popped off the pump!) while Wendy sorted me out. We decided we didn't need an ambulance as I wasn't using the gas and air
yet. Thankfully, Wendy was happy to come in with us and stay, at least until we'd got settled.

By the time we got to hospital, and settled in the room, at about 1am, I was 4cm dilated, and things were really started to hot up. I was still using the TENS and hip swinging/circling while leaning over the bed, but Wendy suggested I try entonox - one of the best suggestions she made! From here, things are a bit of a confused jumble - probably the effects of an intense labour and the entonox!

I don't think I was the calmest of labouring women. Although hip moving, TENS and entonox helped, I still needed to take my anger/frustrations out on a beanbag pillow and Wendy says she hasn't been sworn at like that for years! My feelings towards Dave swung between "I hate you" and "I love you". Having said that, I knew that both Dave & Wendy were 100% supportive of me and that I could trust them to make decisions, as I wasn't really in a fit state to. For instance I can remember saying that I couldn't do it any longer, but they knew that I really wouldn't have wanted an epidural, and encouraged me through the worst parts.

Once I was in established labour 1st stage was 1hr55, and 2nd stage 54min after that. I don't remember being frightened or scared at any time, and certainly during second stage my body took over and there was not much I could do about anything.

At some point, Dave and Wendy helped me from the floor up onto the bed, so I was leaning over the head bit which had been raised - Dave said I asked why I hadn't done it earlier! (While I had been on the floor I'd thought I'd been quite comfy, but knees had been slipping and I think Dave had found it difficult to support me.) On the bed, I kept moving across towards Dave - and away from Wendy - I'd evidently nearly fallen off at least once, and I do remember Wendy telling me
that I'd have to move back towards her even if I didn't like her!

When it came to second stage, although I said my body took over, it was still hard work and I can remember being relieved when Wendy asked Dave to press the button to call for a second midwife, as I knew it wouldn't be too much longer. For several contractions I was aware that
Wendy was encouraging me to keep pushing, as the baby's head kept going back to where it had been, rather than not quite so far (if that makes sense). This certainly spurred me into action, as I knew I didn't want ventouse/forceps (although Dave says there was never any indication from Wendy to him that this might have to happen). They also took the entonox off me (not a popular decision with me, but it helped as I was far more aware and able to co-operate!) Things still
didn't quite move as we wanted, so Wendy suggested another change of position - this time onto my back. Although this was against what is usually recommended it seemed to do the trick and it was only another 3/4 contractions before she was born. Evidently Wendy was telling me to slow down towards the end, but I don't remember that at all - and I didn't take much notice, so unfortunately I tore fairly badly.

Imogen's cord was short, so was cut once it had stopped pulsing, but I still delivered the placenta naturally (21min). The membranes were ragged, and I lost a fair amount of blood, so still ended up with Syntocinon, as Wendy was worried about how things were. As it turns out I lost more blood once I'd got to the ward, my blood pressure dropped, and I ended up on a drip for a few hours to try to contract the uterus more, and a course of antibiotics because of a risk of infection with retained products.

Imogen had skin to skin contact with me for 1 1/2 hours, which was lovely. Unfortunately, she turned blue and went floppy with her first feed (just under an hour after she was born) and needed oxygen and suction, which was scary for Dave and I. Even if I'd been OK, this meant we had to stay in hospital for 24 hours to allow monitoring of her. The worry was that she'd inhaled meconium, but when the paediatrician saw her later and heard her screaming it was clear her lungs were fine!

I'll just finish by saying that, although it wasn't the home water birth we'd been hoping for, I'm still happy with everything and understand that things didn't happen because of anything I did wrong. Wendy and Dawn have been great over the last few weeks, and I think that having healthcare professionals on your side helps an awful lot - you can focus on the important things, rather than having to battle with them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agree 100% with last para, even when things didn't go to plan (do they ever?), you know everyone was working as hard as they could for what you'd see as the best choices in the circumstances. Scary going blue, glad all ok now. Get Dave uploading those pics (when he's not busy teaching the washing machine what hard work is) !!